Selling Linux on Startup?

Tuna tuna at supertunaman.com
Wed Aug 25 12:24:32 MST 2010

On 08/25/2010 12:07 PM, Ariel Gold wrote:
> My dad fixes up old computers and donates them. He's also volunteering
> with non-profit thrift shops.  If the system has a licensed copy of
> windows he uses that license, otherwise he's loading ubuntu. I've also
> suggested he look at some other distros like Puppy for some of the
> older systems.
Also see Zenwalk and Vector Linux.

> Anyways, he says the linux systems are selling slower than the windows
> systems.
They always will. Look at netbooks.

> I thought it'd be cool for the linux systems to sell themselves
> somehow. Maybe a screen saver slideshow that features firefox, how
> openoffice is compatible with MS Office, etc. And/or maybe a desktop
> background that explains what icons are on the desktop and what they
> do. Or maybe even a video on a loop...
Should be simple enough. Make a bunch of fullscreen images showcasing
these features and have a screensaver cycle through them.

> Ideally I'd like to set him up with an install profile where he can
> just install the distro and the custom screensaver and desktop are
> installed along with it.
I loudly make the utterance, "meh" at that idea. That's like the vinyl
stickers on digital cameras. People are afraid to remove them, but
annoyed that they're there. Why not have this sort of thing on the sales
floor? Perhaps a large screen over the linux boxen showing all the nice
features they have, perhaps occasional demos and fliers.

> Has anyone done this, or can point me to some resources to do this?
Check out xvidcap for recording screen demos.