Selling Linux on Startup?

Ariel Gold arielqgold at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 12:07:57 MST 2010

My dad fixes up old computers and donates them. He's also volunteering with
non-profit thrift shops.  If the system has a licensed copy of windows he
uses that license, otherwise he's loading ubuntu. I've also suggested he
look at some other distros like Puppy for some of the older systems.

Anyways, he says the linux systems are selling slower than the windows
systems.

I thought it'd be cool for the linux systems to sell themselves somehow.
Maybe a screen saver slideshow that features firefox, how openoffice is
compatible with MS Office, etc. And/or maybe a desktop background that
explains what icons are on the desktop and what they do. Or maybe even a
video on a loop...

Ideally I'd like to set him up with an install profile where he can just
install the distro and the custom screensaver and desktop are installed
along with it.

Has anyone done this, or can point me to some resources to do this?

Thanks.