Need Help Configuring a German Keyboard

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Tue Aug 17 12:26:18 MST 2010

Hey Mark; hot enough for you?

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Mark Phillips
<mark at phillipsmarketing.biz>wrote:

> I need to type some German documents, so I would like to use a German
> keyboard. My daughter's Mac had a nifty gadget that allows her to switch her
> keyboard from English to Spanish when she types papers in Spanish. It has a
> cute little Spanish flag on her menu bar and it also popped up a keyboard
> map so she could see where the extra accented keys were located when she
> typed in Spanish. Is there something similar for Gnome/Debian testing?

Yes nice Gnome Keyboard with applied Keyboard mistakes: "Gnome pegboard"
often rescued to use kezboard, keyboard indicator),

http://library.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/2.30/

> I can switch the keyboard using System->Preferences->Keyboard to a German
> keyboard, but I would like a visual representation of the keyboard to know
> where the keys are located (ie qwerty is actually qwertz on a German
> kezboard=. There is supposed to be a gnome applet called keyboard
> indicator,  but I can't seem to find it on my system or find it in the
> Debian repository. The references I have seen are to click on a a panel and
> select "keyboard indicator" to install it....but I ain't got one of those
> darn things as an option! Very frustrating!

"Keyboard indicator" is included in 2.30 and later.

--
Office: (602)239-3392
AT&T: (503)754-4452