Tarballs

Dennis Kibbe dennisk at freeshell.org
Sun Aug 15 06:26:28 MST 2010

   Message: 47
   Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 18:02:12 GMT
   From: "Eric - A" <ericallen3 at juno.com>

   it helps if I need to create, but what I am doing is trying to unpack and install a program.

Hi Eric,

Since the original file has a bin extension what you have most likely is an execuable that will ask you to agree to a EULA before the program is installed.  This is a common practise with propriety programs.  None of the tar commands will work in this case.  You can run the program by first making sure it is executable then prepending the command with ./ like this:

./some_file.bin

dennisk
Adjunct Faculty
Mesa Community College