request you top post please

mike at mjv.com mike at mjv.com
Fri Aug 13 13:06:31 MST 2010

Not everyone? Let's say MOST. I've been on 70+ listservs for over a decade
and bottom-posters are extremely rare at best. If everyone else is posting
a certain way consistently, why suddenly say they're wrong and demand
posting the opposite way? I mean, what is right and wrong with the
difference between top and bottom posting as if one is evil and the other
good? In this case, majority rules. Trying to make people do something
different on one list than on all the other lists is just ridiculous and
disingenuous.

Be well,
Mike in Zone 8, Texas
--
http://www.taroandti.com/ Exotic Plant Info and More...
http://www.organichomesteading.com/ Organic Homesteading

On Fri,
August 13, 2010 12:42 pm, Joseph Sinclair wrote:
> Ed,

Not everyone agrees with the bottom-post-for-technical approach, it's a
> personal preference more than anything. Technomage_Hawke is using
reading
> tools that don't skip effectively (no visual interface).
It's not a lack
> of GUI, it's a lack of any capability to see the
text, and he's
> absolutely correct that viewing bottom-post in a
screen reader or braille
> reader is excruciating, at best.
>
> If you must bottom post, then you should trim out all
the history you
> refer to below (just as I did to your split
posting below) as a simple
> courtesy to people who can't actually
use their eyes to skim over it.

> I've generally found
the following compromise to work reasonably well:

> 1) top post if it makes sense to do so, if people want the history
they
> can keep reading. 2) post interlocutory if you're
responding
> point-by-point to something; bracket your comments
with --- so the
> visually impaired can tell more easily when the
author changes. 3) Bottom
> post if it's preferred on a list or if
someone requests it, but remove as
> much of the thread history as
you can so screen readers and braille
> devices don't have to
re-read the entire conversation with every email. 4)
> Use a
thread-aware email client to make it easier to accept that others
> should make their own choices in this regard.

Just my thoughts,