request you top post please

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Fri Aug 13 12:42:01 MST 2010

Ed,
  Not everyone agrees with the bottom-post-for-technical approach, it's a personal preference more than anything.
Technomage_Hawke is using reading tools that don't skip effectively (no visual interface).
It's not a lack of GUI, it's a lack of any capability to see the text, and he's absolutely correct that
viewing bottom-post in a screen reader or braille reader is excruciating, at best.

If you must bottom post, then you should trim out all the history you refer to below (just as I did to your split posting below) as a simple courtesy to people who can't actually use their eyes to skim over it.

I've generally found the following compromise to work reasonably well:

1) top post if it makes sense to do so, if people want the history they can keep reading.
2) post interlocutory if you're responding point-by-point to something; bracket your comments with --- so the visually impaired can tell more easily when the author changes.
3) Bottom post if it's preferred on a list or if someone requests it, but remove as much of the thread history as you can so screen readers and braille devices don't have to re-read the entire conversation with every email.
4) Use a thread-aware email client to make it easier to accept that others should make their own choices in this regard.

Just my thoughts,
==Joseph++