Kaseya Agents & You

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Thu Aug 12 13:04:14 MST 2010

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Tuna <tuna at supertunaman.com> wrote:

>  On 08/11/2010 07:54 PM, Lisa Kachold wrote:
>
> Kaseya:
>
> Sometimes a Free Tool, Sometimes a convenient Hack,  Sometimes a Government
> Surveillance Tool?
>
> How to Remove a Kaseya Agent:
>
> 1) Windows Hidden Type:
> "%programfiles%\InstallShield Installation
> Information\{48C76121-4F90-11D5-9884-0050BA85A903}\Setup.exe" UNINSTALL
>

> 2) OS X:
>
> 1. Download the file KaseyaUninstall.pkg.zip file from here<http://community.kaseya.com/ittoolkit/m/it-toolkit-media-gallery/50.aspx>,
> and copy it onto the Mac.
>
> 2. Expand the ZIP archive.
>
> 3. Run KaseyaUninstall.pkg installer and choose to Install to the Macintosh
> Harddrive. Although this appears to be installing a product, it is actually
> running the uninstallation script for the Kaseya agent.
>
> 4. Log in with the user that installed the agent initially and delete the
> /var/tmp/kpid file. To do this launch Terminal and run the "rm -rf
> /var/tmp/kpid" command.
>

>  5. Remove the agent with root rights, i.e. in Terminal run the "sudo rm
> -rf /var/tmp/kpid" command and then provide the root password
>

>  6.  The Kaseya agent and associated files will be removed.
>

>  WorkArounds:
>
> Chrome does not currently have an active Kaseya Agent plugin for OS X or
> Linux Chrome:
> http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=chrome+kaseya+osx&aq=f

> http://www.kaseya.com/free/features.aspx
> http://www.kaseya.com/solutions/government.aspx
>
> http://community.kaseya.com/ittoolkit/b/weblog/archive/2010/06/09/creative-ways-to-get-it-toolkit-installed-on-a-computer.aspx
>

>  Lisa, do you want to enter a business partnership with me selling
> high-quality tin foil hats (not like those homemade ones that just fall
> apart) and personal mobile faraday cages (with movable elbow and knee
> joints)?
>
> I think you're kicking up a whole lot of dust to be honest. An equally
> meaningful and relevant statement would be "There exists bad software that
> people can install and do nasty things to your computer."
>
> The uninstall information is good to know, but I think it would be better
> presented in a full-blown article pertaining to draconian employers
> installing crap on employees' laptops, perhaps for 2600 or similar.
>

> Hey Tuna, my young friend, I just posted information related to Kaysea
administrative, technical and security use, with how to remove the agents;
someone else challenged that Kaseya was developed for government NSA and
security use.

But I imagine we could sell tinfoil
hat<http://www.motivatedphotos.com/?id=97466> art.....especially
at 1st Friday ArtWalk <http://www.artlinkphoenix.com/>?