samba config

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Apr 27 06:03:39 MST 2010

----
#1 - userland mounted external hard drives (/media) are not really
suitable for using with samba. Samba expects a root mount. Put your
entry into /etc/fstab for this external drive, mount it and leave it
alone. To get ACL's, I think you are going to need a file system that
supports extended attributes (and of course use them in /etc/fstab)
which tends to leave out the typical FAT/VFAT filesystems used in many
external hard drives.

#2 - you can create samba users/groups but they should either be the
same as system users/groups or you have to specifically map them. Note
that samba users have to have a password too.

#3 - You should probably set group permissions and even use group sticky
bits on subdirectories.

Craig

believed to be clean.