samba config

Nadim Hoque nadimhoque at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 20:56:21 MST 2010

Hey

So I switched to ubuntu server 9.10 and I need to configure samba. What I
want to do is share folders in which only the owner has access to. For
instance I want to share my external drive and I am the owner of that folder
and only if I put my credentials based off of the server information
regarding my account. Now I also want possibly other groups to have access
as well (this does not have to be just this folder in general), essentially
I want it to use acls. Below is the config file that I currently have. When
I was using open suse it allowed be to use current users on the system as
users for samba.

[global]
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        encrypt passwords = yes
        wins support = no
        max log size = 2000
        passdb backend = tdbsam

[homes]
        comment = %u's Home Directory
        browsable = no
        read only = no
        map archive = yes
[My_Book]
        comment = This is the My book with the movies/tvshows
        inherit acls = Yes
        path = /media/My\ Book
        guest ok = no
        read only = No
#       write = Yes
#       valid users = nadim

[common]
        comment = This is the common forlder on the local hard drive
        inherit acls = yes
        path = /home/common
        guest ok = no
        read only = no