OT: Phone Warz -Google and Android Lock Antennae

Matt Nesteruk matt.nesteruk at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 21:40:04 MST 2009

This article blows chunks. Here are some of my favourite moments;

"The reaction from the Android user and developer community has been
significant — emotion is running high."

<rant>
Yes, emotions are flying across the Interwebs.  Router and Firewall ACL's
indicate a spike in android emoticons.  :o(
</rant>

"Others are laying the case that Google should not sue this developer but
rather hire him to work for Google."

<rant>
This is a new idea, or not.  Maybe Cyanogen can be appointed the new Android
Czar.
</rant>

"What you think of “MOD-ing” might vary depending on where you sit and from
where you draw your income."

<rant>
I think the author struck a nerve here.  I hope he does not mind if I use
portions of his article in my next publication.  I think ill just change a
word, or two.
</rant>

"When code at this level is modified, you cannot simply download an
application to the device and casually install it — you must re-flash your
device with an “image” of the code because low-level drivers must be
installed. Doing this means getting low-level control over the device —
often called “rooting” the device."

<r00t>
31337
</r00t>

"If a release turns a device into a brick or a new feature is requested, the
open source programmer can fix the code, add the feature, and then
re-release the code."

<rant>
Sweet, I just bricked my phone.  Dont they call it a brick for a reason?
This sounds like an excellent SDLC.  "Sorry I bricked your phone" says the
developer, "Don't worry, someone else will fix it."
</rant>

"He even included the new Android Market application — before Google did."

<rant>
Whoops!  This new feature must have not been in the test document.
</rant>

"Some will find the boundaries too much and they will go UNDERGROUND."

<rant>
Underground is just one of those words that sounds kewl when you say it.
</rant>

"I don’t even mind if Google generates an obscene (legal) profit."

<rant>
Are you telling me that Google is actually making money?  Not only are they
making money, but obscene profits.  NICE....
</rant>

"Can Google succeed commercially by protecting their interests and at the
same time keep Android open source?"

<rant>
Can the author please get over it?  Open Source has its place.
</rant>