Bootable flash drive

Nathan England nathan at paysonlinux.org
Tue Sep 22 13:18:19 MST 2009

I am trying to make a bootable USB flash drive. This is just a regular 2 GB
PNY flash device from walmart for 12 bucks. Nothing special. I have read a
dozen sites how to make this work, and they all focus on formatting the device
with fat16. However, I have a PC-BSD image that I dd'd onto it and it boots
and works just dandy, however it does not have a fat16 partition on it.

How do I create a bootable flash drive with an ext partition?

This really cannot be this complicated, can it? My laptop will boot off a USB
device. I tried just creating a partition and formatting it ext2, making it
bootable with fdisk and putting what I wanted on it, however I just get
errors... and not the kind like my boot scripts are not working.  I have so
far used GRUB... maybe that is my problem, but everything else uses syslinux,
which again, wants fat16...

I appreciate any help or pointers,

Nathan