OT: Texting Solution

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Sat Sep 12 19:02:26 MST 2009

Nathan England wrote:

> I cannot find a gmail labs feature for it anywhere. I'm still looking
> though.
>
> nathan

Click on the green beaker, scroll down to "Text Messaging (SMS) in Chat", choose enable.
Save your changes.
SMS will show up in the chat interface to the left of the inbox (once you add the phone number for your contact and check the SMS box for that contact).

This actually uses a SMS gateway.  Other Jabber servers also have SMS gateways, so you may be able to set this up with something like Gajim, Pidgin, or other jabber clients.
There are many SMS gateways available, some free.  I heard once that Skype has this, but I couldn't verify it just now.
For a random example of a sms gateway, look at http://jabtxt.com/, which is one such gateway (I haven't used it, don't know if it's any good, use at own risk, etc...).