4 partitions

Nathan England nathan at paysonlinux.org
Sat Sep 12 16:46:53 MST 2009

> I suppose you never came into a situation where you needed to add
> another partition and couldn't because all of your primaries were used
> up. I have, so now I use an extended partition. ;)
>
> AFAIK, there is no good reason to make 1-4 all primaries. I just wanted
> to see if I had missed something. Since anaconda does it the way it
> does, I would bet that there's a good reason to do it the way anaconda's
> doing it.
>
> Of course it goes without saying that the dos partition scheme is pretty
> retarded to begin with by today's standards. ;)

As far as I know it is simply because/incase you want to install windows
at some point or some other OS. Obviously if you have an extended
partition you can add aditional logical partitions and install another
OS. Or put linux as the other OS as windows doesn't like being installed
to a lp.

I have had the need for an extended partition setup, but I've used
virtualbox instead...

nathan