4 partitions

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Sat Sep 12 16:39:11 MST 2009

Nathan England wrote:

>>> Who cares why? Is it possible or not? Do you have something useful to
>>> say
>>> or just a snappy question?
>> Inquiring minds want to know. ;)
>>
>>> I don't personally care to use logical partitions either and I would
>>> rather use 4 primary partitions.
>> Why is that? What's the diff? Really.
>> If you're not booting to one of the primary partitions, why make it
>> primary in the first place? Who cares? Is there some reason? Or is it
>> just prettier to have your partitions numbered 1,2,3,4 instead of 1,2,3,5?
>>

> I don't have any particular reason, other than since I started with linux
> in late '91 I have done it that way. I'm used to partitioning my systems
> that way. That and I'm a control freak and want it done MY WAY @$#*&^%$@
> !!! ha ha
>
> nathan

I suppose you never came into a situation where you needed to add
another partition and couldn't because all of your primaries were used
up. I have, so now I use an extended partition. ;)

AFAIK, there is no good reason to make 1-4 all primaries. I just wanted
to see if I had missed something. Since anaconda does it the way it
does, I would bet that there's a good reason to do it the way anaconda's
doing it.

Of course it goes without saying that the dos partition scheme is pretty
retarded to begin with by today's standards. ;)

--
-Eric 'shubes'