KDE 4.X

Ryan Rix phrkonaleash at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 21:31:47 MST 2009

wayne wrote:
> Hey Ryan, Thanks for the reply.
> Specifically, the things that are bugging me right now are:
>
> A: I use PANELS on dual monitors. Lower AND upper panels on both. In
> 3.x, I could position a icon on the panel EXACTLY where I wanted it it.
> 4.x appears to stack them against each other and that SUCKS for grouping
> stuff.

I think that there is a fix for this in 4.3; you can have a different
'activity' for each monitor, which allows you to do this, and more, pretty
easily.

> B. I had a "widget" that gave me a bunch of terminal options like LINUX,
> ROOT, etc. That tool appears to no longer be available AND its apparent
> replacement, "Konsole profiles" blows chunks. If you out it in a panel
> it takes up all the open space across the whole panel.

Give KRunner a try, it has a profile launcher. KRunner in general is
amazing. Alt-F2 by default.

> C: along those lines, it used to be easy to create a icon on the
> desktop, then just drag it to a panel. NO CAN DO anymore.
>
> I STILL cannot figure out what good "DESKTOP" view is, as opposed to
> FOLDER view, which is closer to what I expect. WHAT GOOD IS IT???

KDE4's widget layout will make it somewhat different. having a Folder View
that points to ~/Desktop accomplishes, in essence, the same thing that a
'regular' desktop does, so I don't see the point in this argument, tbh.

> Guys, I gotta say: If I didn't know any better, I would SWEAR a M$
> person got on the dev team and is trying to hose KDE. I MEAN IT. It is
> THAT bad, to me.

I ___completely___ disagree, but YMMV i guess...

--
Ryan Rix
(623)-826-0051

Fortune:
The greatest productive force is human selfishness.
		-- Robert Heinlein

http://hackersramblings.wordpress.com | http://identi.ca/phrkonaleash
XMPP: phrkonaleash at gmail.com          | MSN: phrkonaleash at yahoo.com
AIM:  phrkonaleash                    | Yahoo: phrkonaleash
IRC:  PhrkOnLsh at irc.freenode.net/#srcedit,#teensonlinux,#plugaz and
      countless other FOSS channels.