ot - I got a call today

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Wed Oct 21 21:54:26 MST 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 12:25 PM, R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Oct 2009, mike havens wrote:
>
> > This call was from Atlanta, Georgia. 770.999.0000 was the number. After a
> > little research I found out about ID Spoofing. Was this a soofed number?
> Or
> > else is 0000 a special number or something like that? The call was from
> > someone verifying an application 'I' filled out.I don't think so!
>
> perhaps spoofed, but is seems to be an assigned block
>
> NANPA: Assigned Atlanta Nw, Georgia (Bellsouth Telecomm INC
>        DBA Southern Bell TEL & TEL)
>
> per http://whocalled.us/lookup/7709990000
>
> A person who controls a SS-7 switch through a PRI can do
> amazing things as to the displayed 'caller ID' to an end
> customer

Yes, we had SS-7 switches at Key Bank (it was all SS-7)!
I also had a fine Stromberg Carlson DCO that did amazing things with
CallerID while at Payline Systems where intelligent motel dialers and
programmable payphones picked our switch and our billing systems (linux)
charged exorbinate rates to caller's credit cards (until mandated out of
business by the PUC).

Also did similar things with BlackBox "test" devices and DTMF signalling in
the early days while at Wygant Scientific (Voicemail on Mitel and other
Analog PBX systems for Trimet and Washington Kids).

> -- Russ herrold

Skype: (623)239-3392
AT&T: (503)754-4452
www.obnosis.com