DSL Speed

Chris Gehlker canyonrat at me.com
Thu Oct 15 18:36:18 MST 2009

On Oct 15, 2009, at 6:08 PM, Bill Jonas wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 06:25:37AM -0700, Chris Gehlker wrote:
>> Here's what I don't understand. If the site is capable of serving
>> files at 700 kbps, why wasn't I always getting them at that rate?
>> Surely, I thought,  80 kbps fits int 1.3 mbps with so much headroom
>> that I won't see any speed increase. But the speed increase is more
>> than proportional. Can anyone explain this?
>
> Are you speaking of Kbps or KBps (kilobits per second vs. kilobytes
> per
> second)?  If you were getting 80 KBps, you can call it roughly 800
> Kbps,
> which means that it jibes with your former 1300 Kbps connection.
> Connection speed is almost always given in multiples of bits per
> second,
> while browsers more often display bytes per second.

You know, I think you've got it. The speed tests report "kbps". My
browser reports "KB" which isn't really a standard abbreviation for
anything. Without even thinking about it I was reading this as 'kb'
but it means 'kB'.

> As for why you didn't get 130 KBps (1.3 Mbps) before, it's hard to
> say.
> Perhaps there was other network activity on your connection, or maybe
> your ISP is routing your traffic differently now.  This is just
> conjecture, though.

Yep. It was still only about half as fast as it should have been before.

--
Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.
-Frank William Leahy, football coach (1908-1973)