DSL Speed

Bill Jonas bill at billjonas.com
Thu Oct 15 18:08:01 MST 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 06:25:37AM -0700, Chris Gehlker wrote:
> Here's what I don't understand. If the site is capable of serving
> files at 700 kbps, why wasn't I always getting them at that rate?
> Surely, I thought,  80 kbps fits int 1.3 mbps with so much headroom
> that I won't see any speed increase. But the speed increase is more
> than proportional. Can anyone explain this?

Are you speaking of Kbps or KBps (kilobits per second vs. kilobytes per
second)?  If you were getting 80 KBps, you can call it roughly 800 Kbps,
which means that it jibes with your former 1300 Kbps connection.
Connection speed is almost always given in multiples of bits per second,
while browsers more often display bytes per second.

As for why you didn't get 130 KBps (1.3 Mbps) before, it's hard to say.
Perhaps there was other network activity on your connection, or maybe
your ISP is routing your traffic differently now.  This is just
conjecture, though.

--
Bill Jonas    *    bill at billjonas.com    *    http://www.billjonas.com/
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door.  You step