udev renames ethernet interfaces?

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Sat Oct 3 14:36:20 MST 2009

On Oct 4, 2009, at 3:28 AM, Dazed_75 wrote:

> ubuntu 9.04 from /var/log/messages
>
> ifserver kernel: [    9.611230] udev: renamed network interface eth0
> to eth1
>
> BTW, this is the ethernet port on the motherboard.  I assume that it
> was originally known as eth0.  But when a PCI ethernet card was
> added, I was surprised to see it listed as eth0 and the motherboard
> as eth1.  Apparently now that the machine is back to only having the
> MB ethernet, udev is still wanting to call it eth1.  Probably a
> better idea than trying to find and fix all references to eth0 and
> eth1.

I'm not sure if you're using NetworkManager or configuring your own
interfaces.  In NetworkManager, I see how to look up which MAC address
is associated with which ethernet device (eth0, eth1, etc), but I
don't see any way to set these associations.

If you're doing your configuration via /etc/network/interfaces, you
can add a 'hwaddress' stanza in the configuration for either a
'static' or 'dhcp' interface.  I think you should be able to use that
to control which device becomes eth0, eth1, etc.

alex