Problems with wifi

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Fri Oct 2 09:42:40 MST 2009

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 6:59 AM, Mark Phillips <mark at phillipsmarketing.biz>wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 7:30 PM, Lisa Kachold <lisakachold at obnosis.com>wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 5:59 PM, Matt Graham <danceswithcrows at usa.net>wrote:
>>
>>> From: Lisa Kachold <lisakachold at obnosis.com>
>>>
>>> It's a crapshoot whether there's a volume control on the old speaker
>>> on some machines.  If you know you're not going to use the old
>>> speaker support, you can just rmmod the pcspkr module and then
>>> move that module out of /lib/modules/`uname -r`/ .  I don't even
>>> build that module, but I always build a custom kernel....

>>> It looks like the 802.11 card's trying to associate with an access
>>> point but is not getting anywhere.  I suppose you could try
>>> "iwconfig eth1" when it's up and reproduce that for us, or see
>>> what you get when you do "ps auxw | grep dhc" which should tell
>>> you whether dhcpcd or dhclient is running on eth1.
>>>

>> Security Moment:
>> Yes, that's BAD!  It's flapping and evidently he doesn't want it up.
>> It's better not to have both networks up, unless needed since that allows
>> access more easily for WEP cracking and then sidejacking.
>> <hack>  Someone could..well, I don't need to describe the bloody
>> situation, it's all there in any autopsy? </hack>
>> end Security Moment
>>
>> Debian uses the /etc/sysconfig tree rather than the rc.d.
>>
>> *So the solution is simply configuring the rest of the networking
>> configs:*
>>

> Sounds like a great plan....errr....I don't have an /etc/sysconfig  and I
> can't find any ifcfg-eth1 or eth0 on my system.

Yes, it's the interface file (which you already posted). Blow away yours and
recreate.  Be sure you do not have any strange characters, UTF8 type,or
ALT255 null characters, tabs etc.  I have seen debian systems flag
interfaces with problems with the initialization files.  Other reasons for
interface flapping can be due to kernel drivers, check your dmesg file for
clues?

You can debug one you like for your BOTH UP configuration, and move it
between the ETHERNET ONLY configuration.

Refer to this link:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/setting-up-an-network-interfaces-file/