Problems with wifi

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Fri Oct 2 06:59:54 MST 2009

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 7:30 PM, Lisa Kachold <lisakachold at obnosis.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 5:59 PM, Matt Graham <danceswithcrows at usa.net>wrote:
>
>> From: Lisa Kachold <lisakachold at obnosis.com>
>>
>> It's a crapshoot whether there's a volume control on the old speaker
>> on some machines.  If you know you're not going to use the old
>> speaker support, you can just rmmod the pcspkr module and then
>> move that module out of /lib/modules/`uname -r`/ .  I don't even
>> build that module, but I always build a custom kernel....
>>
>> > Link UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
>> > Hmmm, it appears to have an IPv6 address
>> > (Are you doing teredo tunneling on your network? Nevermind!)
>>
>> It looks like the 802.11 card's trying to associate with an access
>> point but is not getting anywhere.  I suppose you could try
>> "iwconfig eth1" when it's up and reproduce that for us, or see
>> what you get when you do "ps auxw | grep dhc" which should tell
>> you whether dhcpcd or dhclient is running on eth1.
>>

> Security Moment:
> Yes, that's BAD!  It's flapping and evidently he doesn't want it up.
> It's better not to have both networks up, unless needed since that allows
> access more easily for WEP cracking and then sidejacking.
> <hack>  Someone could..well, I don't need to describe the bloody situation,
> it's all there in any autopsy? </hack>
> end Security Moment
>
> Debian uses the /etc/sysconfig tree rather than the rc.d.
>
> *So the solution is simply configuring the rest of the networking configs:
> *

Sounds like a great plan....errr....I don't have an /etc/sysconfig  and I
can't find any ifcfg-eth1 or eth0 on my system.

narwhale:/home/mark# ls /etc/sys*
/etc/sysctl.conf  /etc/syslog.conf

/etc/sysctl.d:

narwhale:/home/mark# locate ifcfg
narwhale:/home/mark#

Perhaps Debian testing puts this in another location?

Thanks!

Mark