GNOME virtual desktop

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Tue Nov 24 22:37:38 MST 2009

This is normally due to Nautilus crashing. (Just like Windows, Gnome provides the "desktop" via the file manager).
Next time it happens, try opening a command prompt and entering "nautilus &".  If it restores the desktop stuff, you know the cause.  Don't run like that for too long, however, as some of the Gnome system seems to assume that the Nautilus process is parented properly, and will cause weird behavior if it's started from a command line.