R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Mon Nov 23 12:54:39 MST 2009

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009, Steven A. DuChene wrote:

> I have been requested to load a duplicate system based on the
> list of rpms present on the original system. This is a CentOS

> Does anyone know of a tool that would allow me to do a fresh
> load of a bare system based on a list of desired rpms?

master:
 	rpm -qa --qf '%{name}\n' | grep -v kernel | sort |  \
 		uniq >  /tmp/rpmlist.txt

clone:
 	do a minimal install

 	scp master:/tmp/rpmlist.txt .

 	yum install rpmlist.txt

Then on the clone, run:
 	rpm -qa --qf '%{name}\n' | grep -v kernel | sort |  \
 		uniq >  /tmp/rpmlist.txt

 	diff -u rpmlist.txt /tmp/rpmlist.txt

and
 	rpm -e any strays present on the clone,

and note anything not present, and repair to taste [this can
happen over time as the items in a point respin change, or if
a non-CentOS archive is used]

- Russ herrold