Fwd: Books and News from the O'Reilly User Group Program--November

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Wed Nov 18 07:37:16 MST 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Marsee Henon <marsee at oreilly.com>
Date: Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 9:15 AM
Subject: Books and News from the O'Reilly User Group Program--November
To: alandd at consultpros.com

 If you cannot read the information below, click
here<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zuap8l3tfk9qgmtjk3fq758jhq0i4jkr10dlqvdo>
.

Forward this annoucement to a
friend<http://post.oreilly.com/f2f/9z1zquim9mf9a15vu8g1g1fqvvb7ufefjph32bs5p8g>
 [image: O'Reilly.com]<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z04iocplce1l2drckepgspcb3uuuuvt018oqguno>[image:
User Group Newsletter]

Nov 2009 Issue:

   - Welcome <#124fdc8dfbc18547_1>
   - O'Reilly Answers -- Clever Hacks. Creative Ideas. Innovative
Solutions.<#124fdc8dfbc18547_2>
   - Great Java on Video <#124fdc8dfbc18547_3>
   - Online Conferences in December -- Where 2.0. Velocity, and Gov
2.0<#124fdc8dfbc18547_4>
   - Safari Books Online's Coder Challenge and Safari Open
House<#124fdc8dfbc18547_5>
   - Reviewers Needed and Book Discount Code <#124fdc8dfbc18547_6>
   - The O'Reilly School of Technolgy Referral Program <#124fdc8dfbc18547_7>
   - UG leaders only -- Put Up a Banner, Get a Free Book<#124fdc8dfbc18547_8>
   - Upcoming Events <#124fdc8dfbc18547_events>

New Releases:

 <http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z5nq9ipcq6r8vn244n3cfljui37u83in6m6uvap0> *The
Art of SEO<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zos7b85inkc2i04trsegl5kcoqej9236echa7dao>
*
By Eric Enge<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zo949i2e068gfdj5mt7t3o872a5c6iks4u6qoeno>,
Stephan M. Spencer<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z6bkfmkhgmt9fq8con0ablq8pil7r299pmksro6o>,
Rand Fishkin<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zv6ltaf9at934ckrgo40hfi90j25ob7lfftpe158>,
Jessie Stricchiola<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z54fp6hi1i7712a2nd2lmg02a74q8vjs3sf8cqj0>

 <http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zifclgua69eos042c6eq0087nfg8306mk44blato>
*Beautiful
Testing<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zaddop63nbcabr451upk0p3qveb3i0dmhmpnb2ao>
*
By Tim Riley<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zfgdildrs2pn71r3fndubs1jlpj8cspetsmrni0o>,
Adam Goucher<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z4q4kor5foker32nthcbh454rr1l2e3jh9ch13ig>

 <http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zqtdopt2olviqtcta4f771qm5n7ta1ip5bhdk84g> *C#
4.0 in a Nutshell: Rough Cuts Version, Fourth
Edition<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zfg5qaqf9c55rkpsr7oe8qsnv0lel8hg14ib8o8o>
*

 <http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zp3468iv9ubbrprqnd98j4qqvnnejs928hs3d9ag>
*Confessions
of a Public Speaker<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z6g253faalbaho5uiljphq132mggs6pu9gqbddm8>
*
By Scott Berkun<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z4i8g1i1hu7mco9qlj8bb8sn91a167d48h2sfpng>

 <http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z3dfh32k4to730kpueq7vr104v4nbta5f4fbif9o>
*Debug
It! <http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zvirfmv0hnpr5937qdtd2lai4amtpfija5j9sr5o>
*
By Paul Butcher<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zpnbunot3e2bf4a23qrc5sdn0tblti9b0nife2g0>

 <http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zik6vnek2ldf921hr3g6di7md611ajfr3at59sgo>
*Friends
with Benefits<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zis3v7nkilvum5htl25le4702ljfjdodv8078bk8>
*
By Darren Barefoot<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zd4a00mqopkvja9o0p4pv4e80q118dl2bqm98vro>,
Julie Szabo<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z0ra7o67sku2l8nihuuovttq2g9qi36k3jqsur00>

 <http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z80ii83uui01ko6ti94rauq726qchacgjqj428tg> *From
Camera to Computer<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zlo15kf2vftq5ek7n6rhd8gmuserlggp1m1kbgqo>
*
By George Barr<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zlajh8egqdn1c4q83necr9r6cr9id56s4csiht2g>

 <http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zo3edqriuuakmmoamg23sfvd35a8ktn93ea415oo>
*Getting
Started with Google
Wave<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z74rq0tlafvsuspjnjck1u27bh78of3qkkru0000>
*
By Andrés Ferraté<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zrg479rjnohrj1g7uo9tu10ce07uhhtuktn3let8>

 <http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zmct7ilt72ce96ies2i9jjngtppohri8cnp09e60> *
Grails<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zuh83fg9b4b5fi7pvgbm1sqshhntooh84is5ldv8>
*
By Dave Klein<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zoug41bmml9dl0r6vdubsv60g4hlbv8852k1dl00>

 <http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zpso8gi1n15aim32jpf6jecvsop667j99ij7ogp8>
*Great
Java<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z0kd5uhurr2qu13tltldal1l65ncnrnov6cpniao>
*
By Brett McLaughlin<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z3igc5acgbn15h8t75ogia1japsp2c6nvkc5iklo>

 <http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zajar00entt2cd0cpecp4oa84ofpl1srsp1h5v8g> *Head
First iPhone Development<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1ze76lmpjareoed31qpu9hr3uilehf3o0deejj3m8>
*
By Dan Pilone<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z3j7j361dt6nqh9a2p9hprs2hl6dmk30fuq0r8ao>,
Tracey Pilone<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z3lvhi2toib34r5mgee98cctt4apg56q5pccchao>

 <http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z3j00tfbdcij50tefur7hckeas1f3u1nhuermrb0>
*Hello,
Android, Second
Edition<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z8d0llf7e0mf8827r3uset3thc95qolu2vp5hhr8>
*
By Ed Burnette<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zmonqvi64sc5nku3h9vhk3724kuppvktpi5rmk50>

 <http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z5kqi38ptnhdijrjsq1q78l0dsttoldqdqesaii8>
*iPhone
Game Development<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zscs3784hm8sfmk10cu6cgsghaqbnuehcv2gtcag>
*
By Paul Zirkle<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zsockqmvpm38rqokr9f5126711edcavrsrg6o678>,
Joe Hogue<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zdaolls92jjt9scka9gdbeo6duu0g1k1dg4jefo8>

 <http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zov3o5892t9mji4lf7tb22csok83ad6cio9q4ob8>
*iPod:
The Missing Manual, Eighth
Edition<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1znkggh1oh6d83dfksllk02h9f8059c4grm493840>
*
By J.D. Biersdorfer<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z5o9dlidpkg2q1osok0hh1cgfcped3km4htst9ig>,
David Pogue<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zgt5bmfvhem4oqtacr4hs4c0vh6ko372l25pi448>

 <http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z4cp42e2imdg5ci3l620flqlae3327injhtlbr30> *
Log4J<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zf4c4sl8b1c7seckk71e3ona87nsp63msh7nlje8>
*
By J. Steven Perry<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zssonkfisgnq978qcs3nl7u0ffm55dpgint8o0f8>

 <http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zf4ql1e55npt01d0llicf5mhek1pujku5e1gi1uo>
*Make:
Technology on Your Time Volume
20<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zsh12p13ip06oobaf3tqgp4kilh37l5k4f15uubg>
*
By Mark Frauenfelder<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zu0f66lkl0ijmec6t7pu3ktkgorf5v6b8qfk06r8>

 <http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zj2kl0jcjfqi9qps3gct8jcinuqhhuoubqmdajrg>
*Photoshop
Elements 8 for Mac: The Missing
Manual<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zg25060g7rmtn7v6lcvt2l0qok9tc0cp4ri5gqmg>
*
By Barbara Brundage<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zph8cb6f86mefa1ojhg71bisu8l36mcc8014jr1g>

 <http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zima9t0d4pfgojeflfn6ca9a248c58p2782cmkm0>
*Premiere
Elements 8: The Missing
Manual<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zfug5t6mg75ajpig570tp83dp34hshe43rivp538>
*
By Chris Grover<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zgkmjppr3oss7pk0f78u1v25qn07h1k9dgej49vo>

 <http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zf20eds5p4r2tl66c8dp24bvrpobigjpadvpro8g>
*QuickBooks
2010: The Missing
Manual<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zr1aecoia9adbs11s0eg9rgpdt0joghogmmjhbn0>
*
By Bonnie Biafore<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z93p9vj9ft8bgbaipepavk13ktuegbv77j9cvi60>

 <http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z8j2tectv9v8vblo5h4vjrg4j1iemb837bgeil60> *The
Sustainable Network<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zhkbuqgc11sgc0ffjhpigdq04msssdelsat3qaa8>
*
By Sarah Sorensen<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zuig09spo82eoh4mee1skcus2vbrdt41kql8m2m8>

 <http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zco941h6q0huh4mhhpifb01bvtlnsri6gi47ireg>
*VMware
Cookbook<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1ze1382hf4033djs8vn53plt73435f8493gv569ro>
*
By Ryan Troy<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z0hp42idssauk73nqkhnqfs3g7fp81hbj31ves1g>,
Matthew Helmke<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zcd21mq6dkk8nppough40lda7trtf13ta2kq02vg>

 <http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zg9hcc3regmu4tpr9bru34iguavijpkqr77nhku0>
*Windows
7 Annoyances: Rough Cuts
Version<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zsqhma9ssauomk34qfda2b43e4tiba42ked78dm8>
*

Welcome

Hi there,

The holidays are moving in quickly and soon 2009 will be over. Is your group
celebrating with a holiday party? Make sure we send books for your raffle.
One book that should be on every group's list or library is Scott Berkun's
lastest book Confessions of a Public
Speaker<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zuejfij5me50u97fudh4lo9g3etsttgakb9vu2a0>that
just released this month. This book is funny as well as practical. One
UG leader told me he read it to his wife. Now how's that for an endorsement?

Last month I visited the Atlanta area to attend a gathering of user group
leaders of all kinds. We had a great turn out and spent the day discussing
topics such as community, membership, meeting structure, sponsorship, and
more. Please check out the notes on the group
wiki<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z5b3nuut4h88s2qf1se2bvtrr0qa9ssctecb92j8>when
you have a chance.

User group leaders are invited to join the West Coast Community Leadership
Summit coming up January 9 at DeVry University in Daly City. Registration is
open<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z0tf3dpfrsm2g78deie26g73q5nfq8djjlc4pn3o>.
Thanks to Michael Van
Riper<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z777vciift5her6v7j7relnq21i9ki3qacremqlo>for
getting the ball rolling. The evening activity will be an Ignite at
Google in San Francisco. Read on for more
details<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zr9o8kvob3ob5fd14bnv7rejvqsfc45p5lluuuv8>.

Please pass along any part of this newsletter to your group via email or
your website and include the discount codes. We offer both a text and an
HTML version.

Thanks,

--Marsee Henon

------------------------------

O'Reilly Answers -- Clever Hacks. Creative Ideas. Innovative Solutions.

We're launching the beta of O'Reilly
Answers<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zd8451d0ncdo0n53psed3c7cb8jlnm0hnaci8si0>,
and I'm inviting you to be part of it. In brief, O'Reilly Answers is a
community site for sharing knowledge, asking questions, and providing
answers that brings together our customers, authors, editors, conference
speakers, and Foo (Friends of O'Reilly). O'Reilly is at the center of an
amazing exchange of knowledge sharing and idea generation, and we want you
to join us in changing the world by spreading the knowledge of innovators.

What's Hot in O'Reilly Answers:

   - Should I dump my iPhone for an
Android?<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zereljdkju9e14kgu54ir59e3u0i4vled3lossu8>
   - What are the best iPhone or Android Apps for System
Administrators?<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zr2nbif2jpu34214bmvhjrp57shph1dcsoeu8068>
   - How to calibrate the iPhone Accelerometer for optimal
use<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z8a2bk722t17dhg4q47dsi63jssh3qm59djk77q0>
   - How to support older version of the iPhone
SDK<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zgb1ibfe9j5f3b048tco0r9396t88v1mdeqk58q8>
   - When can I try MS Project
2010?<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zagd5h18he5ahi1rs65mlmsad213jji4k667rs9o>

------------------------------

Great Java on Video

If you're learning something new, doesn't it make sense to learn how to do
it *well*? Great learning from O'Reilly helps you do just that: from start
to finish, we teach you tried and true methods for every topic we cover,
from Java programming to HTML coding, and more. And, rather than just
sitting and watching, you learn by *doing*, in real time. It's as if you're
sitting next to a good friend (and programming expert) as he shares what he
knows and you follow along, step-by-step. It's simply a great way to learn.

Throughout the course, you'll progressively learn to code and compile
programs, work extensively with text, and declare, convert, and cast between
data types. You'll also read files, get user input, and build arrays,
including multi-dimensional arrays. Finally, you'll move into objects,
modeling your data and behavior into core Java structures.

Great Java: Level
1<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zv5gnmbh4bu46ccumf3mak7vrs971smi7oq8h8e0>will
teach you the fundamentals of Java, from the basics of compilation
through methods, objects, and the key concepts of good programming. By the
time you're through these lessons, you'll be programming, and programming
well.

------------------------------

Online Conferences in December -- Where 2.0. Velocity, and Gov 2.0

*Where 2.0 Online
Conference<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zeq1ifjoh9bf7p1qftlk6vd9js51v8rta48d5ol0>
*
An Emphasis on iPhone Sensors
December 3, 9:00 am - 12:45 pm Pacific time
25% discount code for User Group members: whrfall09usrg

By creating a widespread platform that allows for third-party development
and geolocation, iPhones define the state of the art for location enabled
sensors. Presentations exploring these new opportunities include:

   - The Sensors in Your iPhone: Alasdair Allan, University of Exeter and
   Babilim Light Industries
   - Augmented Reality: Andreas Alfare, Mobilizy
   - Location Sensors: Ian Peters-Campbell, Loopt
   - Working with Audio Input: Martin Roth, RJDJ
   - Computer Vision and the iPhone Camera: Jeffrey Powers, Occipital

 *Velocity Online
Conference<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zu5s3o6fmfalr6aav0ndv5devcnqsjtu61t8tpqo>
*
Fast by Default
December 8, 9:00 am - 12:30 pm Pacific time
25% discount code for User Group members: velfall09usrg

The Velocity Online Conference dives into some of the most important
developments in web performance and operations, including:

   - Performance Impact: How Web Speed Affects Online Business KPIs: Hooman
   Beheshti
   - Faster Load Times Through Deferred JavaScript Evaluation: Charles
   Jolley
   - Load Balancing & Reverse Proxies with Varnish & More: Artur Bergman
   - CouchDB from 10,000 Ft: J Chris Anderson
   - Operations Roundtable: Jesse Robbins, Artur Bergman, Adam Jacob, John
   Allspaw

*Gov 2.0 Online
Conference<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zmp3etka3v0h3l4rmlar3h6520t38h2l19gck07o>
*
Facing Challenges and Winning: Five Gov 2.0 Examples
December 10, 9:00 am - 12:30 pm Pacific time
Free!

When citizens interact with their government, powerful things can happen.
Web 2.0 is the industry which has shown that transparency, participation,
collaboration add up to increased efficiency. Gov 2.0 harnesses this for the
public good, as we'll explore in these sessions:

   - City of Santa Cruz Budget Crisis: A Blueprint Using Social Media: Peter
   Koht, City of Santa Cruz
   - txts 4 africa: Merrick Schaefer, UNICEF
   - Utah Department of Public Safety Media Portal: Jeff Nigbur, State of
   Utah, Department of Public Safety
   - Digital Diplomacy: Understanding Islam through Virtual Worlds: Rita
   King, Dancing Ink Productions

------------------------------

Safari Books Online's Coder Challenge and Safari Open House

It's time for the next Safari Books Online's Coder Challenge. Tell us about
your achievement on or before November 30,
2009<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zfsq4p82mpbbbt9a4dp3ji5dv8vk3u0l5s3oq7g8>
.

We're looking for super techie professionals who stand out in our industry
-- those who are using technology in creative ways or are helping our
community in novel ways.

Tell us about a project that demonstrates your super techie achievement using
the submission form<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zk6s309hbl3autd4a8rmckcmdbpmgb12kd8kafpo>.
If you're selected as one of the winners, you will receive a 3-month
subscription to Safari Books Online and an invitation to join Tim O'Reilly,
CEO and founder of O'Reilly Media, Inc., at a special event early next year
in California. Winners are selected by a panel of judges; however, community
votes and comments are encouraged.

*Try the new version of Safari Books Online during our Open House -- no
charge, no strings
attached!*<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zgh0ba0pb53ek5l95lnnufd3rgj80kdm3uj84juo>

O'Reilly Media founder Tim O'Reilly is enthusiastic about the benefits of
this new release:
"Safari Books Online 6.0 is a complete, bottom-to-top revamping of the
original service. The new UI is slicker and faster, with the kind of
drag-and-drop goodness that people expect from a modern web application. In
addition, we've added some long-requested features that take advantage of
the online medium in ways that aren't possible with standalone ebooks."

10 Days Free -- test drive Safari Books Online free for 10 days or 200 page
views. Get your free trial
now<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zhliirfohrnch14bonp2inmf086k9652u74ttgho>
.

For a very limited time, try a Safari Library account on us -- no strings
attached! Register during our Open House and test drive Safari Books Online
for up to 10 days or 200 page views.*

*Limited time offer ends November 24, 2009. Not available in all countries.
Available to new subscribers only. Rough Cuts and Downloads not available
during trial.

------------------------------

Reviewers Needed and Book Discount Code

We're always looking for book reviewers, especially on our new releases.
Titles we're excited about include Confessions of a Public
Speaker<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z5vpu8erqieoar1h441u5096ft49obg06kn7n530>,
The Sustainable
Network<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1ztjdjla17e6g228c3njml7t2kloe3si0j97dimtg>,
The Art of SEO<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1znm0t58r40qukvepjipstpm3irqm3add7am0lm90>,
and Getting Started with Google
Wave<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zd5d39io84k927af5vd1oeem9rfhdhskbht97ch8>.
If you'd like to write a review of any of these books for Amazon, Slashdot,
your favorite book community site such as GoodReads or Shelfari, or your
blog, please send an email to your user group leader with the book title and
where you'll review it.

Get 35% off from O'Reilly, No Starch, Paraglyph, PC Publishing, Pragmatic
Bookshelf, Rocky Nook, SitePoint, or YoungJin books and ebooks you purchase
directly from O'Reilly. Just use code DSUG when ordering online or by phone
800-998-9938.<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zpp12am9acsg5la7t7j2t9domfv3li50mrchbdc8>

------------------------------

The O'Reilly School of Technolgy Referral Program

The O'Reilly School of Technology (OST) just started a new referral
program<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zer0b5df59gsfj3ngmrk37cb0jsf6245s3bruun0>.
For every new student you refer to OST, earn $100 cash or credit towards OST
courses.

How does it work?

   1. Just register for free so we can create a referral account for you.
   (If you're a current or past OST student, you are automatically registered
   -- just log in.)
   2. Then we'll give you a special website URL to post as a link on your
   website, Facebook, LinkedIn, or MySpace page. If you like, you can use
   banners we provide.
   3. Or, you can simply give your email address to your friends to use when
   enrolling so that we know you referred them.
   4. Log in to your Referral account and watch the money come in!

Here's the FAQ for more
info.<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zrnmvhfcban1347tj2o2h3b4b9dlfe7cg8op2ld0>

*O'Reilly School of Technology Courses: UG Members Receive a 30%
Discount*<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z7anjitq58o10svib58gap7cprpkgupu9e2tnm7o>

By enrolling in the O'Reilly School of Technology, you can stay competitive
in Information Technology without the high cost or huge time commitment. Our
courses work around YOUR schedule, not the other way around. And within
months, not only will you have the University of Illinois Certificate to
display on your resume, you'll also have a portfolio of projects that are
sure to impress in your interviews!

OST's full-price tuitions are already lower than comparable continuing
education or community college courses. However, as an O'Reilly User Group
member, you save an additional 30% on all the courses in the following
University of Illinois Certificate Series:

   - Database Administration Certificate
   - Java Programming
   - PHP/SQL Programming
   - Linux/Unix System Administration
   - Web Programming
   - Open Source Programming
   - .NET Programming
   - Client-Side Web Programming featuring AJAX

To redeem, use Promotion Code "ORALL1" good for a 30% discount, in Step #2
of the enrollment process. Each course comes with a free O'Reilly book and a
7-day money-back guarantee.

------------------------------

UG leaders only -- Put Up a Banner, Get a Free Book

We're looking for user groups to display our discount banners on their web
sites. If you send me a link to your group's site with one or more banners
posted, I'll send you the O'Reilly book(s) of your choice. Choose from the
following list:

   - O'Reilly Answers
   <http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zplukqcahb2lini8vlvb02lie9ueg1dkh4k91ijo>
   - The Art Of
Community<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z1mid5spdune576q6kalgscc8evpntm26aqea1ug>
   - O'Reilly School of Technology
Banners<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zo69hcho0q0inp66a8cni4i9bid2p7rv99ropiio>
   - Customizable O'Reilly Book
Widgets<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zf052apgttn2cdbg4v0rsnt7ef1p9gerclsmau6o>
   - 35% off User Group Discount
Banner<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zgt2einf8g565866k1ifb0jgv7ca6pqjaudua5p0>

------------------------------

Upcoming Events
 [image: Kirk Haines]<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zubeuiscru8gm2frdngl0luqoeek3m6alke3ftj0>

*Webcast: Tokyo Cabinet in One
Hour<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z1niligdd7fufkh6usk30v0pi77nsbsusem4kl88>
*
*When*: Nov 17, 2009
Tokyo Cabinet is a fast, synchronous key/value database library with support
for several major languages, including Ruby. We will look at both its
benefits and its problems, and work through several examples that
demonstrate its capabilities, ease of use from Ruby, and performance
potential. At the end of the talk there will be a question and answer
session.

*O'Reilly at PDC2009 Professional Developer's
Conference<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z65onccjap5jb5db0pu57arnadtck1lvo37rr850>
*
*When*: Nov 17-19, 2009
*Where*: Los Angeles Convention Center Los Angeles, CA
Stop by the O'Reilly booth (Booth #112) and say hi. We'll be giving books
away during the event. Meet your favorite O'Reilly authors on Tuesday,
November 18 from 6-8pm, during the Expo Reception.
 [image: Scott Berkun]<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zuvhrfcitu64i9vl4qbla1ckbnmfk6j03bi9bn00>

*Scott Berkun at Web 2.0 Expo New
York<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zl0lchi0m7jp386a8ea1feqij411ttmbv90oa1uo>
*
*When*: Nov 18, 2009
*Where*: Jacob K. Javits Convention Center New York
Author Scott Berkun (*Confessions of a Public
Speaker*<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z9uqmgenstkl9sh0h48mk0tq1pc8eut00s444b4o>)
will be speaking about his new book.

More Upcoming Events
>><http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zpj1lpihm9um350u6gis0msjofug6k6p73r8cjq8>

 [image: Spreading the knowledge of
innovators.]<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z1ecleqs8mu2umi2uagfassbmen29cp0lp1hbbvg>[image:
O'Reilly.com]<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zrte818poh3kgqck3qikvk4eg56eqhp9527b2uq0>
You are receiving this email because you are a User Group contact with
O'Reilly Media. If you would like to stop receiving this newsletter please
email marsee at oreilly.com <+marsee at oreilly.com> with your request.

O'Reilly Media, Inc. 1005 Gravenstein Highway North, Sebastopol, CA 95472
(707) 827-7000
http://oreilly.com/<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zaaru0n4t5h014r55136ld8ujjtdi54n08nvevv0>|
http://ug.oreilly.com/<http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z122n8natroshhb4092cmuis0uhf7111roqdu1sg>

Forward this announcement: