running Linux on odd devices is SOOO COOL!

Technomage technomage.hawke at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 14:27:14 MST 2009

Robert Holtzman wrote:

> I was just about to comment on this. You beat me to it. In all the
> different material I've read, everyone is fond of saying it would
> take <insert huge number here> of years to break a strong password.
> Statistically the odds of the first try being successful are not, as you
> pointed out, zero and increase with each combination. Granted, it would
> still take a hell of a long time but not the <insert huge number> years
> people always claim.

you are not the only ones to notice this.
perhaps a better metric would be the :odds of determining the actual
password in a
"reasonably short period" of time (say under 3 months). Now, I don't
have the math behind me
to even approach this problem. However, wouldn't similar large math
problems (such as calculating
the ofdds of a specific set of balls dropping for the powerball lotto
that week) given you a better metric
of how to calculate probability of success?