running Linux on odd devices is SOOO COOL!

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Sun Nov 15 13:22:50 MST 2009

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 11:56:18AM -0600, Alex Dean wrote:

             ............snip.............

> Kurt : Is that "28 trillion hours" figure you cited the estimated time
> to try *all* 12 character passwords?  If so, I think that's not the
> right metric.  The search for a password stops once you've found the
> correct one, and you'd only try them all if the correct password is the
> very last one you tried.  It'd be helpful to know something like "I'm
> able to attempt 95% of all 12 character passwords after 28 trillion
> hours".  If the password is truly a random string of junk, it's perfectly
> possible (just phenomenally unlikely) that you'll guess it on the 1st
> try.

I was just about to comment on this. You beat me to it. In all the
different material I've read, everyone is fond of saying it would
take <insert huge number here> of years to break a strong password.
Statistically the odds of the first try being successful are not, as you
pointed out, zero and increase with each combination. Granted, it would
still take a hell of a long time but not the <insert huge number> years
people always claim.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279