Cheap Linux compatible video cards

Bob Elzer bob.elzer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 09:56:30 MST 2009

This is a linux list.

How does a DEAD Nvidia work better than a running ATI ????

Nvidia's are dying left and right, check out their forums. They have an
overheating problem. The new models too.

At least ATI has open sourced the drivers, it's still a work in progress,
but it's getting better.

I'm running an X1600 with Centos 5.3, and an All in Wonder with Centos 4.7
and they work completely fine.

Also ran 5.3 on 3870, oh and the laptop runs ubuntu with radeon 200M fine
too.

The point of my previous message is that Nvidia is having problems with
their hardware, maybe Mike is just going to do text editing in console mode,
then they Nvidia will work fine. But if the card is ever going to get a good
workout, then IT MIGHT DIE.

When a vendor (XFI) say he'll replace an Nvidia with an ATI 4870, make me
think he knows something more about the Nvidia problem.

How many of your Nvidia cards have been RMA'd, of all my ATI that I've
owned, one because the fan got clogged with dust and stopped working, and
ATI wouldn't just send me the tiny fan, that I could have replaced myself.

I've had three friends that sweared by Nvidia all switch to ATI in the last
year. Yes we kidded each other about which was best, but I really felt bad
for them, listening to all the problems they were having, and dealing with
the vendors for multiple RMA's.

So from my experience ATI is reliable.