Borked up multiboot system

Steve Phariss sphariss at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 16:21:24 MST 2009

I found the problem and a solution (no goat needed <G> ).  I did try to use
supergrub, and while it is a good tool and partially worked, I was still
have problems.

the problem was that I was reusing a couple disks that had been set up as a
raid 1 in a different system.  I was under the wrong assumpion that removing
all the partitions would clear the raid metadata from the drives.  This was
wrong.  Windows seemed to have no problem however installing on those drives
(able to install, boot, etc).

I decided to clear one of the disks for a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.10.  The
install disk would not even see the drive, only the raid data.  I used the
Ubuntu live disk to run dmraid and remove the raid data sets from the
disks.  At that point the Ubuntu install was able to see the disk and
installed normally.

I was expecting that the windows install on the other raided disk would be
borked, but fortunatly that was not the case.  One unexpected side affect
was that the new install was now able to pick up all three OS boots (win7,
XP, and Ubuntu 9.10)

Lesson learned.....  be sure to COMPLETELY clear the hard drives, especially
if they have been used in a raid set.