OT-ish: In need of DNS hosting

Ryan Rix phrkonaleash at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 08:43:07 MST 2009

Hey guys,

I finally registered a domain in my own name for the purpose of lulz and
filehosting. Unfortunately I decided I wanted a trendy domain name, not a .com
or anything like that, so I registered rix.si via the domain registrar COBIT
in Slovenia, since that's apparently the ONLY .si domain registrar with an
English site.

So I did it, whew, 25$ a year. And then they told me they didn't host DNS.

Now, I'm cheap. :) My friend who hosts my irssi screen session lovingly
offered up a spot on his virtual server for my site, which is basically
awesome because I have shell access to the box, on top of many other benefits.
:-) But, his domain is registered via a different, more sensible, registrar,
who actually provides DNS service for the domains they register, so he doesn't
have to dick around setting up bind9 or dnsmasq.

Which leaves me in a pickle. I feel bad asking him to go through all the work
to set up a bind9 server after he offered up space on his server for free, but
I cannot seem to find a service that ONLY hosts DNS entries. I don't really
need all of the services that DynDNS provides, but I'm willing to use that if
nothing else comes up. One would think DNS hosting could be done incredibly
cheaply, but I have found no real solutions, and any suggestions are
appreciated.
Thanks,
Ryan

--
Ryan Rix
Fedora KDE SIG Member, Phoenix AZ Ambassador, News KDE Beat writer

http://hackersramblings.wordpress.com | http://identi.ca/phrkonaleash
XMPP: phrkonaleash at gmail.com          | MSN: phrkonaleash at yahoo.com
AIM:  phrkonaleash                    | Yahoo: phrkonaleash
IRC:  PhrkOnLsh at irc.freenode.net/#srcedit,#plugaz,#fedora-kde and
      countless other FOSS channels.