OT: Why am I getting 100 times more spam than others?

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Fri May 29 07:44:16 MST 2009

Josef Lowder wrote:
> In the past, I have pleaded for help with this issue, and some have
> responded with frustration that I brought this up again ... so I
> apologize in advance for bringing this up again now.  But the problem
> has worstened to an enormously frustrating extent.
>
> More than 2,000 spam email messages now come into my gmail account
> every day.  It is perplexing and infuriating to me that google/gmail
> will not allow creating filters to *delete* (not just move to trash)
> all this garbage that is clearly identifiable and definable.
>
> Recently, gmail began to mark about half to 2/3rds of this garbage
> with the title *****SPAM***** in the subject line.  Why would they
> bother doing that instead of just totally blocking or automatically
> deleting forever all this garbage rather than just labeling it as
> SPAM?   Or at least give us the option to choose to have all such mail
> deleted rather than put into a spam folder.
>
> I (and many others) have written to Google and to Gmail forums about
> this numerous times, but of course no one at Google ever responds.
>
> What prompts this message today is that I have recently talked with
> other email users  who are even larger volume users of email than I
> and they have expressed amazement at the volume of spam that I am
> receiving.  Because, they have reported to me that they are *not*
> receiving even 1/100th of the volume of spam that I receive.
>
> So, can anyone recommend any remedy or alternate, perhaps even a paid
> web mail service, by which I might be able to gain some control over
> this nightmare?
>
> I would certainly be willing to pay for a solution.
>
> Help!

I've been running my own QmailToaster server for several years now, and
receive pretty darned close to no spam at all. I believe that
QmailToaster is better than most and as good as any commercial product
or service.

Have you considered running your own email server? It takes very little
hardware (my first QmailToaster ran on a PII-266), and it's easier now
than ever before to get up and running. Jake Vickers has started putting
together a video series for building and using QmailToaster
(http://video.qmailtoaster.com/). The mailing list is very helpful, and
the wiki (http://wiki.qmailtoaster.com) documents things pretty well.
Check it out at www.qmailtoaster.com.

I could do a presentation on QmailToaster at a meeting if there's
interest, or I'd be glad to assist with a build at an installfest.
--
-Eric 'shubes'