Dual Monitors Ubuntu Jaunty

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Thu May 28 22:53:06 MST 2009

With Ubuntu Jaunty and an ATI 9100 IGP, you have a maximum (per AMD) 2048x1536 virtual screen (That's the virtual setting in the xorg.conf).
LVDS is your internal screen, VGA-0 is the external.
The 1536 max on screen 0 that xrandr is reporting is because it's putting the two screens together vertically (768*2=1536) to fit them in the card limitations.
With this setup, you probably cannot get much better than 1024x768 on 2 non-cloned screens due to the IGP limitations (you could have 4 1024x768 screens 2x2, but everything must fit in that 2048x1536 viewport).

You might try backing up xorg.conf and then removing it so that xrandr can auto-config the displays (it constrains itself to limits in xorg.conf if present), but you still probably will not be able to exceed the resolutions you have with 2 screens.
You could, theoretically use the system|preferences|display tool to set the screens to clone with a large (matching the larger screen) desktop and just disable the laptop screen when the external monitor is connected, that would allow you to fully utilize the larger screen, but you'd only have the one screen.

Hope that helps.

==Joseph++