Installfest 5/30 (new thread)

Lyle Tuttle L.tuttle at cox.net
Tue May 26 21:36:50 MST 2009

At 09:04 PM 5/26/2009, you wrote:

>On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 8:41 PM, Lyle Tuttle
><<mailto:L.tuttle at cox.net>L.tuttle at cox.net> wrote:
>At 08:21 PM 5/26/2009, you wrote:
>

>>On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 7:04 PM, Lyle Tuttle
>><<mailto:L.tuttle at cox.net>L.tuttle at cox.net> wrote:
>>At 05:46 PM 5/26/2009, you wrote:
>>>I've had about three RSVP's, some are a bit heafty:
>>>snip, snip
>>>I have a HP Pavilion that I want to run on Linux only - no dual boot.
>>>Now has windows XP on it......I plan on attending your event this saturday.
>>The above email was sent in April, and I did attend and install
>>Linux on that system.
>>It does not work, but that is another story.
>>I just want to make sure you know that is an OLD EMAIL. it is
>>history now....<G>
>lyle
>Is it the linux that does not work or the computer?  Are you wanting
>to try again with that or a different computer?  I know you said it
>was another story, but I was wondering if we did anything bad.
>No, you guys did fine....my statement was only half correct -- it
>works (I'm excited - my fist look @ Linux, want to see more....if
>only...<G>) , but I can't get it to log on to my home wireless
>system -- but it did right away at the instalfest.....
>
>Probably some simple, small thing, but I am not having any luck
>fixing it....got past all the "keyring" issues I think ---
>
>I "think" I have some problem with "device recognition" (it says my
>output should be 'claimed', unclaimed, enabled, or disabled, but I
>get NONE of those...), but how could that be if it
>worked?  (Wireless troubleshooting, 5.2.2),
>
>It does not look like it says it should, but it worked at
>first......what's with that?  what's the diff 'twixt their wireless
>system and mine other than password?
>
>I'm trying to follow the troubleshooting guide, but what comes up
>may as well be Greek...<G>...and I do not read nor comprehend Greek.....
>
>lyle

>This is one of those problems that can only be resolved with your
>computer being in range of your wireless AP/router.

Why would my router be so different?  Both of my desktop systems and
my laptop fired right up and logged on with no problem........this
new Linux system worked at the installfest....and it sees it here,
and keeps trying to log on, but just can't get there...

What do I need to know to connect to ANY wireless system........my
laptop can at a lot of different places, using different routers, etc.......

>  If you wanted to being both to the installfest, I am sure we could
> make it work.  Otherwise the choices are for someone to come to
> your home or try supporting you by this kind of email exchange (much harder).

Are you willing to talk / walk me thru it via phone / Skype some
time?  I can follow the troubleshooting guide, but am not familiar
with what it tells me...<G>