Best first programming language

Mike Hoy mhoy06 at gmail.com
Tue May 26 09:22:19 MST 2009

http://catb.org/esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html#skills1

That's ESR's page. It's a good read and goes over a lot of what you guys are
talking about. I'm following his advice. Currently learning as much python
as I can. I also dabble in Java and C, but my main focus is on Python. It
allows me to focus on the basics of programming without doing the dirty work
like:

prototyping functions
declaring variables
using { and ;
You know all that extra typing that can result in an error.
The trivial programs I write scream for python. Java and C take MANY more
lines of code to accomplish the same thing. Oh and I can write GUI programs
with Python too (Tkinter).

Since he's going to learn Java anyway in school why not learn python now and
get some of the basics down. I suggest buying 'Learning Python' and
devouring it. Write programs with a focus on oop.

I've taken Java in college and ended up dropping it. It was a LOT of
information. I feel I can take it now and pretty easily get through the
class.
HTH

-Mike Hoy

Mike Hoy