Redirect 301 not working with dynamic URL

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Fri May 22 15:36:55 MST 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 3:01 PM, keith smith <klsmith2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm working on an .htaccess file.
>
> The problem I have is :
>
> If I set up
>
> Redirect 301 /index.php?display=contact
> http://www.domain.tld/contact-us.php
>
> It does not redirect nor do I see an error in the logs.
>
> If I configure it this way it will redirect :
>
> Redirect 301 /index.php http://www.domain.tld/contact-us.php
>
> By removing the "?display=contact" I get the index.php to redirect to the
> contact-us.php page.
>
> We have moved from internal dynamic pages to external static pages for
> several reasons.  The main being SEO.
>
> Any idea why the first example causes no error and does not work either?
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Keith

Are you sure you have the full rewrite engine on somewhere in httpd.conf or
the .htaccess file?

Here's a reference:

Are you certain that the .htaccess is:

executable
no newlines
syntax matches

Usually the issue is due to paths or syntax.

So the file url is relational to the DocumentRoot; do you have that
defined?

Does it exist?

http://www.thejackol.com/htaccess-cheatsheet/

--