Truly Free phones?

Charles Jones charles.jones at ciscolearning.org
Fri May 15 11:25:21 MST 2009

Just thought I would mention the Apple IPhone. It is far from free or
open, out of the box, but once "jailbroken", they are unlocked and you
can install any apps you want, including ones that you write yourself.
There is also a free online course from Standford University that is
teaching iphone application programming using the free SDK. Again, all
of this only applies if you "jailbreak" the phone, which voids your
warranty (although you can easily restore it back to normal in the case
that you had to return it for some reason). My Coworker has a jailbroken
iphone, and he can do *anything* with it, including SSH into it, ssh out
of it, run and install any apps, use it on any carrier, etc. Of course
making it do any of this cool stuff is totally unsupported, but thats
the fun of hacking right? :)