Looking for Laptop Suggestions

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue May 12 21:57:56 MST 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-12 at 20:01 -0700, Greg Furmanek wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> As much as I would like to recommend a Linux system at this time the
> best
> hardware you can buy is a Mac.  I know some say that the premium $ is
> not
> worth it but after using one for over 2 years I have nothing better to
> recommend.
>
> BTW, the price is way worth it and it's based on a solid unix OS.
> At this point even if I was strictly running Linux I would by Mac
> hardware.
>
> Anyway, just my 2 cents.
----
my feelings of the beta quality of Macintosh software aside, I somewhat
agree with the hardware quality except that Apple has made a few serious
faux pas with their newer MacBooks...

1 - New MagnaSafe power has few options for things like cigarette
lighters, etc. The only adapter you can pick up is the Apple 'Airplane'
adaptor which only operates the computer and won't even charge the
sucker. You have few options here for multi-source adapters. Replacement
parts and general accessories are just too expensive.

2 - Apple has embedded DRM controls in the audio/video hardware

3 - At the point where you can purchase 3 netbooks for the price of 1
MacBook, you have to ask yourself why?

My personal feeling is that teenagers are probably better off with less
expensive laptops because of theft, damage, portability, durability
issues.

Craig

believed to be clean.