looking for db recommendation

Bryan O'Neal boneal at cornerstonehome.com
Tue Mar 31 17:25:18 MST 2009

Perhaps I was unduly harsh on Postgresql.

And while the last time I messed with it was over a half decade past;  it
gave me a headache at the time. I am told my headaches would have gone away
if I just did XYZ (which changed depending on who you talked to) like
setting more restrictive locks. The problem I had was that, to me, things
like manually setting the locking mode to eliminate intermittent errors of
old data being returned by queries after newdata was committed by other
queries is just not intuitive. I would understand releasing these locks and
accepting the risk if I needed to resolve some odd conflict immediately
while working on a real solution, but the other way around? PostgreSQL just
felt like a slightly schizophrenic overly needy girlfriend, I suppose if I
understood her better I would love her but I was unwilling to put in the
time.

Again, this was a while ago and things change, I should PostgreSQL give it
another shot.

Bishmer Sekaran wrote:
Postgres' difficulty is somewhat overstated. IMO it's easier to get started
with postgres than to say, learn mod_perl on Apache or configure sendmail.
Steps for Mark to switch to postgres:

1) Acquire and start postgres - Easy in SUSE, they even have a page for
it: http://en.opensuse.org/Postgresql

2) Export data from Access (Access->Excel->csv is easiest? Seems like it's
more convoluted, ie would be faster than Access-> csv since this is M$ we're
talking about)

3) Create his new db - Copy the same format as previously, just in ANSI SQL.
Probably something like

CREATE TABLE Records (
Artist text,
Album text,