looking for db recommendation

Bishmer Sekaran bishmer at sekaran.net
Tue Mar 31 17:03:07 MST 2009

Bryan O'Neal wrote:
> I don't think any one doubts postgresqls ability to run his db effectively,
> instead we doubt its ease of use.  MS Access it is not ;)

Postgres' difficulty is somewhat overstated. IMO it's easier to get
started with postgres than to say, learn mod_perl on Apache or configure
sendmail. Steps for Mark to switch to postgres:

1) Acquire and start postgres - Easy in SUSE, they even have a page for
it: http://en.opensuse.org/Postgresql

2) Export data from Access (Access->Excel->csv is easiest? Seems like
it's more convoluted, ie would be faster than Access-> csv since this is
M$ we're talking about)

3) Create his new db - Copy the same format as previously, just in ANSI
SQL. Probably something like

CREATE TABLE Records (
Artist text,
Album text,