looking for db recommendation

Bryan O'Neal boneal at cornerstonehome.com
Tue Mar 31 17:08:36 MST 2009

I was intrigued by the OO opening MS Access dbs, so I tried it. I was
unsuccessful with OO 3.0 base and Access 2000 mdb files. :( Would have been
cool if it worked ;)
I like how you mention middleware/front end considerations; it is after all,
at the hart of a dbs usability. MS Access provides its own middleware set
for the graphical management of data from the simple build a table to the
creation of complex web forms.  In fact most db people who claim to like
Access almost never use the actual db but instead just link access to a
decently robust backend db like MySQL, PostgreSQL, DB2, etc.  Oracle comes
with one built in, and MySQL as a number of decent standard ones, but
learning LAMP. RoR, J2EE, is the only real way to recreate what you can do
in Access.  If you know some Pearl/PHP run with LAMP, if you know nothing
but like the idea of web programming run with RoR. Personally I am a
JSP/J2EE person but it takes a while to get up to speed in it.

Then again, if your db is really not much more then a small set of flat
files and edited via a spreadsheet style interface, nearly every DB has one
and apps like Aquafold will provide one for dozens of dbs.