starting by iptable deny all of china is a good start. - Re:OT? Linux-based trojans now targeting WRT and other linux-based routers

Bryan O'Neal boneal at cornerstonehome.com
Mon Mar 30 23:50:51 MST 2009

Isn't that what network documentation and maintenance scripts are for ;)

Actually you have a very good point but, particularly when people travel.
I would block all non US addresses but would turn the rules on and off by
country when executives travel (automated on and off dates were scheduled).
I never worried about maintaining much because it was never intended to be a
100% solution, so if I block 80% of the undesired systems it was 80% more
then I was blocking before.  But then again, I never bothered at all until I
was getting so many requests from India & Ireland that my system could
barley keep up. Setting up the initial rule helped immensely. In addition
you should regularly revisit your methodologies and redetermine if it is
still valid. Just because you build a raft to get you across the river does
not mean you have to carry it around with you for the rest of your life.
For me I just replaced my Linux router with a combined CSU/DSU router
firewall appliance when the company moved to a new location that had
different connectivity needs.  That and the new ISP provided flood controlee
and a good deal of blacklist controlee for me making the need for whole sale
blocking less valid.