starting by iptable deny all of china is a good start. - Re:OT? Linux-based trojans now targeting WRT and other linux-based routers

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Mon Mar 30 23:48:13 MST 2009

Unfortunately, a scan like nmap or netcat can trivially use random or source choice IP.

So a distributed denial of service (and more than a few script kiddie bots and toolz) originate from Chinese source addresses.

The real scanner is actually behind the proxy watching it all ready for the all important moment when the results don't equal null and he can reset your firmware with his own.

Some of the fun items that his firmware can include are:

1) Javascript XSS tunnel browser exploit for whoever maintains the router.
2) All remote management to a list of his IPS.
3) Port forward certain packets outbound to certain IP's to another place.
4) Allow for sniffing of internal router packet traffic (all clear text email, etc.)
5) Allow for sniffing and decrypt via ettercap and john of encrypted traffic (passwords, etc.)
6) Create a ipsec tunnel or VPN.
7) It will usually remove certificates or help files to do this, and often one will see very quickly the "real" web based forms, during save.

The only thing you will notice are network slowage, router reboots, and if you are slightly saavy, fantom ports opening and system that are strangely changes (Bonobo suddenly being implemented for instance).

Your linux system is going to have all the binary changed via RootInABox and files low level iode changes, so you probably won't even see them via MidnightCommander.

You are pwned = just keep ignoring it all; keep pretending that it's a nice secure Matrix world?

Obnosis | (503)754-4452

PLUG Linux Security Labs 2nd Saturday Each Month at Noon - 3PM