How to recover X display? v.1.1

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Tue Mar 24 15:41:11 MST 2009

From: Josef Lowder <joe at actionline.com>
> On 3/24/09, Matt Graham <danceswithcrows at usa.net> wrote:
>> Are you on dialup? If you've got proper bandwidth,
>> "dhclient eth0" or "dhcpcd eth0" should get a dynamic IP
>> address provided eth0 is plugged in to something.
> I have DSL wireless and it was working fine before the crash.
> Even now, when I boot up, I see lights blinking on the 3-COM
> pci card, but since I can't see anything on F7 I can't use the
> wireless connection that I think I have.

> And I don't know how to establish that connection on one of the
> other F1-F6 command-line only terminals.

First find out what your NIC is called.  "iwconfig" should list
all NICs, and the wired ones will say "no wireless extensions".
So you might see:

eth0: no wireless extensions
eth1: 802.11b/g ESSID "blah" Mode managed TxPower 89 FooBar 23
[more settings like that]
lo: no wireless extensions

Then, you do "dhcpcd eth1" if you have no encryption on and
don't care which AP you connect to.  Things get more complex
when you use WEP/WPA, but say which one you're using, and I or
someone else will be able to tell you what's up.  Really, I'd
take a length of Cat5 and plug the thing in, rather than deal
with the hassle of wireless for this reasonably short experiment.

>> Fix the Net access and apt-get upgrade, and
>> you should be good.  (I Could Be Wrong.)
> Wish I could.

The stuff above may help.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows