How to recover X display? v.1.1

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Tue Mar 24 14:45:06 MST 2009

From: Josef Lowder <joe at actionline.com>
> On 3/24/09, Lisa Kachold <lisakachold at obnosis.com> wrote:
>> Post installation of Virtualbox, your Xorg logs say what?
> www.upquick.com/view/Xorg.0.log

That one doesn't have any errors in it, though.  The .9 log
has the "v4l version mismatch" error in it, but the others
don't.  Very strange.

> www.upquick.com/view/xorg.conf

That looks fine to me, though I'd use "radeon" instead of "ati",
because ati is really for driving Mach64 cards, although it will
load radeon or r128 if it detects a Radeon or Rage128 card.

>> # sudo Xconfigurator
> I can't find 'Xconfigurator' on the system, don't think I have it.

The X config is fine, except it's loading v4l (and maybe other modules)
that have the wrong versions.  I suppose you could comment out v4l,
glx, and dri, restart X, and see if it works--that'd take 5 minutes.
(It's totally hork up compiz-fusion, but you should get X back.)  The
non-distro-specific way of generating a good X config file is to back
up an existing xorg.conf , then "X -configure", then edit the xorg.conf
that gets generated and change the default color depth to something
other than 8.  It's not insanely great, but it does work.

>> sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
>> # sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
> Wish I could, but I don't know how to get an internet connection
> with only command line access.

Are you on dialup?  That'd be semi-annoying, but should be possible.
You'd need to do something with wvdial or the pppd config though.
The last time I used dialup was 5 years ago.  If you've got proper
bloody bandwidth, "dhclient eth0" or "dhcpcd eth0" should get a
dynamic IP address provided eth0 is plugged in to something.

> Here are some other files that I copied from the laptop,

Heck.  From what I can tell, the problem is X and X's modules not
being the same version.  Fix the Net access and apt-get upgrade, and
you should be good.  (I Could Be Wrong.)

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows