Cross-platform virtual meetings

Andrew "Tuna" Harris tuna at supertunaman.com
Mon Mar 23 13:05:10 MST 2009

Excerpts from plug's message of Mon Mar 23 12:11:11 -0700 2009:
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Judd Pickell <pickell at gmail.com> wrote:
> > This works on macs, windows and linux:
> > http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatconnect/ but not entirely sure if it is
> > everything you are looking for. There is also a pro version which may offer
> > more features that would be useful.
> >
> Joe -
> Adobe's product has never worked for me - Fedora 10
> you might look at http://code.google.com/p/openmeetings/
> you might also look into a XMPP solution like http://coccinella.im/
> Ed

I've used Coccinella before, it's really nice. Written in TCL/Tk, and it
can work with pretty much any jabber server (except Google Talk for some
reason, when you try to use VoIP). It worked fine on Linux and Mac OS X
for me.  Whiteboard is shockingly instant in all of my trials. I'm
currently trying to get my school to switch to that from Elluminate.

Oh, Elluminate. It's quite possibly the WORST software I have ever used,
next to some of the things Adobe has put forth. But, the client does run
on Windows, Mac, and Linux, although I've never got sound to work
reliably on Linux. The tech support won't help you much either. They say
that they will only support Red Hat and SuSE. I guess that's not a
problem if you are familiar enough with Red Hat or SuSE and can
translate their instructions into $YOURDISTRO lingo. I'll include their
link just to be fair. (If you're interested, I wrote an AppleScript that
can go to any room it pleases ;)

http://coccinella.im/ <-- Try that!
http://elluminate.com/ <-- Shun!