Music Software that DOESN'T Suck?

Mike Schwartz mike.l.schwartz at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 13:33:39 MST 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Andrew "Tuna" Harris <
tuna at supertunaman.com> wrote:

> Excerpts from danceswithcrows's message of Wed Mar 18 08:57:32 -0700 2009:
> > From: "Andrew \"Tuna\" Harris" <tuna at supertunaman.com>
> > > I'm looking for some music software that doesn't suck.
> >
> > All software sucks.  The question is "how much does it suck?"
> >
> > > But here's what I'm sick of. [...snip...]
>

> > However, you don't state what else it is that you want.  [...]
> > [...] help us help you.
>
> Oh, sorry.
>
> Don't care about plugins, [...] I have mp3, ogg, and flac files, [...]
>
> MPD seems like a cool idea, [...] Does anyone have any
> experience with it? I'm a bit concerned because its "website" is a Wikia
> entry. :/
>
> Thanks!
>
> -tuna

I **do not** know anything about MPD; but here's my 0.02 about projects:
> I'm a bit concerned because its "website" is a Wikia entry. :/

Maybe they are just more focused on MPD itself, vs. running a web server.
(see http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/What_MPD_Is_and_Is_Not )
IMHO, that might be good.

Anecdote:
In Austin (where I used to live) (probably before you were born),
some customers of BBQ places used to love it if they saw a
BBQ place where the building was dilapidated.  They tended to
figure (rightly or wrongly) that it meant that the place was focusing
attention on the food, not on impressing people with the architecture,
the interior decorating, the atmosphere, etc.

YMMV.  I know that in some cases, a restaurant can look nice and
also have good food.

But the
> [...] "website" is a Wikia entry
situation, does not necessarily mean that the MPD folks do not
have even a single nerd on their team who knows how to install
and configure and fire up Apache, or whatever.  It might just mean
that they would rather focus on their core competence, and take
the "easy way out" on some other things.

By the way, according to
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?&gid=8270649581
    (the facebook "group" for 'mpd'),
it says [quote:]
<<
Music Player Daemon is a small no-nonsense music player. It handles all
important audio formats and http streams. As a daemon, it does not depend on
X to run, and you are free to choose a user interface that suits you best.

so, hey, if you have any questions, I guess you could ask there --
(although that
group only has 23 members -- maybe 24 if you join -- so there might be
more traffic
[/slash, faster answers?] at their "Wikia" site.)
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale  AZ
schwartz at acm.org