Music Software that DOESN'T Suck?

Andrew "Tuna" Harris tuna at supertunaman.com
Wed Mar 18 12:01:53 MST 2009

Excerpts from danceswithcrows's message of Wed Mar 18 08:57:32 -0700 2009:
> From: "Andrew \"Tuna\" Harris" <tuna at supertunaman.com>
> > I'm looking for some music software that doesn't suck.
>
> All software sucks.  The question is "how much does it suck?"
>
> > But here's what I'm sick of.
> > * Integration with a specific desktop environment
> > If Amarok had a nice GUI that didn't require mad things like kdelibs, I
> > would happily readopt it.
>
> There will be more and more integration as time goes on, because some
> parts of the user community demand it.
>
> > * Inability to Control Things without using the GUI
>
> mp3blaster?  (Command-line mp3 player)
>
> > Pretty much, I need something that doesn't suck, is written in a
> > somewhat respectable language, and demand a crapload of dependencies
> > that I won't need in a week or when I get tired of the software.
>
> I was reasonably happy with audacious (requires GTK+, has at least
> a few keyboard shortcuts, written in C).
>
> However, you don't state what else it is that you want.  Bad
> requirements specs lead to bad software choices.  Do you just want to
> *play* mp3/ogg files, or other media types?  Do you want to alter or
> organize media?  What about plugins?  Answering these questions may
> help us help you.

Oh, sorry.

Don't care about plugins, I would like my music to be organized though.
In /home/tuna/musak I have mp3, ogg, and flac files, so I guess that's
all I really want to be able to play.

MPD seems like a cool idea, I might go with that. Does anyone have any
experience with it? I'm a bit concerned because its "website" is a Wikia
entry. :/

Thanks!

-tuna