language problem redux

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 13:47:50 MST 2009

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 9:34 AM, Jerry Davis <jdawgaz at cox.net> wrote:

> [...]
> this
> > > is your answer, an example might be that the version from linux had
> line
> > > feeds while the version from cygwin on Windoze had both carriage
> returns and
> > > line feeds.  So do a diff and capture the output in some form we can
> see.

> > I'm off today, but my perl program creates a file with \r\n as the line
> endings.
> > When I say they don't compare, I am not talking about line endings. I am
> fully
> > aware of those. I am talking about the actual spanish characters.
> >
> > I will send the fragments when I get back to the office
> >

> 1. done with perl script on cygwin
> The file fragment produced looks like this: (you will note the good spanish
> characters)
>
> "Steps to Reproduce:
> 1. log into TX G2. Choose Español from the drop-down menu.
> 2. go to topic 1_5 and click View
> 3. click Guided Practice and look at q1.
> Results: most of the question talks about cubes 'cubos,' but the equation
> says stickers 'calcom
> anías'
> ER: calcomanías más' should be changed to 'cubos
> más'"|"No"|""|"TXMAES02GP-1_5 - q.1 talks abou
> t cubes, but then equation says stickers"|"none"|""|"Margo Milham
> (milhma)"|"DP-Digital Path"|"
> Envision Math"|"Texas Spanish"|""|""|"3 - Normal"|"Online Digital
> Path"|""|"4 - Minor"|"Submitt
> ed"|"Margo Milham (milhma)"|"2009-01-23 14:28:10"|""|""|""|""|"Not
> Tested"|""|"Defect"|"DP-0004
> 8591"|""|""|"DP-00048591" "
>
> 2. done on linux with CP1252 or uft8 or ISO85891: doesn't seem to matter,
> and sftp'd over to windows:
> (now description fragment looks like this: UGLY)
>
> "CURR00048591    DP-00048591     TXMAES02GP-1_5 (also occurs in
> NAMAES02GP-1_5) - q.1 talks abou
> t cubes, but then equation says stickers<<n>><<n>>Steps to
> Reproduce:<<n>>1. log into TX G2. Ch
> oose EspaAƒA±ol from the drop-down menu.<<n>>2. go to topic 1_5 and click
> View<<n>>3. click Gui
> ded Practice and look at q1.<<n>>Results: most of the question talks about
> cubes "cubos," but t
> he equation says stickers "calcomanAƒA-as"<<n>>ER: calcomanAƒA-as mAƒA¡s"
> should be changed to
> "cubos mAƒA¡s" "
>
> 2a. what it looked like on linux:
>
> "CURR00048591    DP-00048591     TXMAES02GP-1_5 (also occurs in
> NAMAES02GP-1_5) - q.1 talks about cubes, but then equation says
> stickers<<n>><<n>>Steps to Reproduce:<<n>>1. log into TX G2. Choose Español
> from the drop-down menu.<<n>>2. go to topic 1_5 and click View<<n>>3. click
> Guided Practice and look at q1.<<n>>Results: most of the question talks
> about cubes "cubos," but the equation says stickers "calcomanÃas"<<n>>ER:
> calcomanÃas más" should be changed to "cubos más" "
>

> BEFORE ANYONE ASKS. Line Ending have NO PART in this question.

Actually, if you read my earlier response I definitively did not suggest
line endings as the problem.  I only said that you had not described the
differences and used the line endings as a well known example of a
difference between windows and linux.  It was only an example of describing
a difference.

When I look at your inclusions here I see a number of differences, but since
I am searching your data, I only see two kinds of differences.  One is how
the lines break which is NOT what you are talking about, and the other looks
like differences in how specialized characters are displayed or
represented.  Maybe there are other differences but I am missing them if so.

Nonetheless, now maybe there is enough information here for someone more
knowledgeable than myself to help you.

Dazed_75

> So does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> --
> Happy Trails!
> Jerry (K7AZJ)
> Hobbit Name: Pimpernel Loamsdown
> Registered Linux User: 275424
> This email's random fortune:
> Q:      Why do WASPs play golf ?
> A:      So they can dress like pimps.

Man is the only animal that laughs and weeps, for he is the only animal that
is struck with the difference between what things are and what they ought to
be.
 - William Hazlitt