Clustering

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Mon Jun 29 13:47:22 MST 2009

From: Eric Shubert <ejs at shubes.net>
> Has anyone here implemented any clusters?

I've only set one up, but I maintain the ones that my predecessors
set up.  It's not rocket science.

> Is any particular distro better or worse at clustering?

Not really.  Every distro has heartbeat/DRBD/LVS available.

> Any pointers regarding clustering you'd like to share?

Define the problem you're trying to solve more rigorously than just
"clustering" first.  Do you want flailover between 2 boxes?  Do you
want a frontend box with N service-providing boxes behind it?  The
answers to that greatly affect what you will end up doing, as does
the question "What services is this cluster going to provide?"

Basically, all I can do is handwave without answers to "what services?"
and "how many machines?".

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows