Certifications as a means of gaining knowlage

David Munson david.munson at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 16:14:58 MST 2009

Certifications can be useful for getting your foot in the door when you may
not have the experience yet. Granted, most certifications say you should
have X amount of time doing Y type of work, but I had very little experience
with the subject matter when I passed the A+ and Network+ certifications.
When I go after a certification, it's because I'm looking to get a handle on
the basics for jobs related to it, and because it's something to point to
when I talk to HR about my qualifications.
Additionally, certifications SUGGEST that you have a certain level of
knowledge about a set of topics. I can spend six months doing network
support work and never learn a thing about fiber if I'm at a small business,
but a Network+ certification SUGGESTS that I at least know the difference
between SC and MTRJ connectors, as well as single-mode and multimode fiber.

To put it in fewer words, certifications are good for covering the basics of
a subject, and might get you an interview, but it's the actual experience
that'll probably land you the job.