OT: SOLVED: What Computer to Take to Coilege and Brand new iTouch for Sale

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Tue Jun 23 12:29:42 MST 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 11:14 -0700, Mark Phillips wrote:
>
> > P.S. An amusing side note. We have a wired/wireless network at home.
> > All of our computers have a fixed IP address (many Linux, 1 Windows,
> > now a.........mac something). The wired router has DHCP enabled, but
> > not the wireless router. Anyway, she cannot connect the Mac wireless
> > network, so we called Apple. The agent on the line insisted that all
> > networks have to have DHCP enabled in order to work. In the Mac
> > networking screen, it has as options "DHCP" and "DHCP and manual",
> > where you enter a fixed IP address (but no netmask or other networking
> > bits). The agent said until we enable DHCP for the wireless network,
> > we had a broken network, and should call back anther time when we had
> > fixed the network problem, and then hung up! My first experience with
> > Apple support.....not very satisfying.
> ----
> I am the last person to support Apple but I think that running 2 routers
> on one network does cause a number of issues with networking that you
> cannot expect them to solve. And if you have ever been routed to India
> for Quicken or Quark Express support, you will applaud Apple for their
> quality support.
>
> Unless you have some specific reason to two routers, the wireless
> 'router' should be put into some type of network 'bridge' or access
> point mode which turns off the router functions completely and just
> becomes another device on your one network that bridges your network to
> authorized wireless devices. At that point, when Apple asks about your
> setup, you only have 1 router.
>
> Craig

> believed to be clean.
>
> Craig,

My bad...the box is a Linksys router/wireless access point with all the
router functions turned off. It functions as a wireless access point only. I
told the agent there was one router.

What I didn't like is (1) his arrogance about all networks have to have DHCP
enabled and (2) hanging up on me when I was not being rude, just trying to
bridge his training with my experiences.

Thanks for your comments.....wanna buy an iTouch???? ;-)

Mark